ADSM-L

Re: Upgraded to TSM 5.2.1.2

2003-12-10 11:14:57
Subject: Re: Upgraded to TSM 5.2.1.2
From: Robin Sharpe <Robin_Sharpe AT BERLEX DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 11:14:14 -0500
This is a problem that keeps getting "fixed" and then coming back  in
almost every release!

IMHO, the real problem is the way the STATUS field is formatted in the
PROCESSES table.  It's formatted to be readable by humans.  It's very
difficult to parse in scripts because it contains "new lines" to make it
look nice on screen.  Some of the information in STATUS is not available
anywhere else (Like current input and output volume, waiting for mount of
whatever volume, etc.), and some is redundant (files processed and bytes
processed)... however I have found that the files and bytes in the STATUS
field gets updated before (maybe more frequently than) the FILES_PROCESSED
and BYTES_PROCESSED fields.

I wish all of the info in the STATUS field could be placed in individual
fields in the PROCESSES table, and fix this problem once and for all.  It
would save us script writers lots of rework time for each new release!

Robin Sharpe
Berlex Labs

|---------+--------------------------->
|         |           Ben Bullock     |
|         |           <bbullock@MICRON|
|         |           .COM>           |
|         |           Sent by: "ADSM: |
|         |           Dist Stor       |
|         |           Manager"        |
|         |           <[email protected]|
|         |           T.EDU>          |
|         |                           |
|         |                           |
|         |           12/10/03 10:10  |
|         |           AM              |
|         |           Please respond  |
|         |           to "ADSM: Dist  |
|         |           Stor Manager"   |
|         |                           |

  |To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                                                                   |
  |cc:

  |        Re: Upgraded to TSM 5.2.1.2

        Yes, we upgraded to 5.2.1.3 on AIX and have the odd formatting
in the "q proc" output. No fix that I know of, luckily it is just
cosmetic as far as I can tell.

Ben