ADSM-L

Re: Solaris client oddity

2003-12-09 17:43:18
Subject: Re: Solaris client oddity
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 08:42:13 +1000
I'm an AIX guy and regard Solaris generally as demon spawn :)

However, my Solaris colleagues have informed me that the reason for the dsm.sys
and .opt files being in /usr/bin in solaris has to do with solaris packaging
mechanism.

To upgrade a Solaris package you have to delete it and then install the new
one.  If those files were left in the usual place, they would be deleted with
the uninstall and you'd lose your customisations.  By linking to /usr/bin they
are left alone.

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia

>>> seb AT DRAPER DOT COM 10/12/2003 2:55:02 >>>
>Just checked my client install.  Solaris client v5.2.0.
>
>Same thing, dsm.opt and dsm.sys link to /usr/bin/ respective names.
>
>Don't know why that choice was made.

We never even understood why the choice was made to store
configuration text files in a bin directory to begin with.

(As part of our installation procedures, we always move them
to another location and generate symlinks pointing there.)

Steve Bacher
Draper Laboratory
Cambridge, MA, US
seb AT draper DOT com

This email, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential and for the
sole use of the intended recipients(s).  This confidentiality is not waived or
lost, if you receive it and you are not the intended recipient(s), or if it is
transmitted/received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review of this
email is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of confidentiality
if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipients(s), or if you have received this e-mail
in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by telephone or by
return e-mail.  You should also delete this e-mail message and destroy any hard
copies produced.