ADSM-L

Re: Unavailable volume

2003-12-07 07:03:22
Subject: Re: Unavailable volume
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 07:02:56 -0500
>I had a volume with errors reading did on it an audit volume and move data
>but still data on it (those process required a lot of cleaning the drive,
>by the way the drive is working fine.).
>
>I know that if I delete this volume (discardd=yes) the next backup Tsm will
>backup the files was stored on this volume,  my question is if I turn the
>volume "Unavailable" did TSM will do the same.

You should never perform such an operation when there is an alternative...
You are banking on the tape's files representing Active files and that they
still exist intact on the client, that the client can back them up again,
and that the client will get to do that.  There is no way that I know of to
uniquely identify the files that you can see on a tape via Query Content, as
to which date and version each is, and thus there are no certainties.

The product provides facilities to structurally deal with such problems,
which we should use rather than gambling.  Do a Restore Volume, getting the
files back into the Primary storage pool from the Copy storage pool.

  Richard Sims, BU