ADSM-L

Re: DRM and checkin

2003-12-04 19:13:07
Subject: Re: DRM and checkin
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 10:12:25 +1000
I'm just doing this sort of stuff in reverse

We have a 3494 with mixed J and K tapes that is bursting at the seams  (750
slots about 1400 tapes).  Being government, the wheels turn extremely slowly
and our 3592 upgrade won't happen until February, but because its going to
happen we can't spend any money on an interim solution.  Thus we have to
maximise the capacity of the existing equipment.

To do this I'm moving all offsite data to Js and onsite to Ks.

So, every day, I check my scratches. J's get explicity allocated to an offsite
copypool with define volume.  I also run an update libvol ... status=pri,
because otherwise the status doesn't change until the tape is written to and I
think I've got scratches that I don't have.

K tapes stay as scratch.

When it comes time to write the copypool, the explicitly defined volumes are
used first so eventually the copypools migrate to Js

I started this about a month ago and it was a bit of a chore for the first two
weeks.  Now its down to just 4 or 5 tapes a day to handle.  All thats left is a
leisurely  move data on some long term archives.

Regards

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Queensland Health.

>>> wfitzger AT MHC DOT NET 05/12/2003 5:11:43 >>>
If I take a copypool volume and insert it into my tape library and run the
checkin process and check it in as a private volume will the DRM Manager update
the status of the volume?

What I am trying to do is figure out the best way to move data that is in the
copypool  from  J type tapes to K type tapes.

I could do it with the move data using a reconstruct=yes, but this is quite
slow. I was thinking I could load a few of the copy pool tapes into the
library, copy the data to a higher capacity tape, then use the Move DRMedia
command to move it the newly filled tape to vault status

Does this sound like it is possible?

Bill

William Fitzgerald
Software Programmer
TSM Administrator
Munson Medical Center
wfitzger AT mhc DOT net

This email, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential and for the
sole use of the intended recipients(s).  This confidentiality is not waived or
lost, if you receive it and you are not the intended recipient(s), or if it is
transmitted/received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review of this
email is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of confidentiality
if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipients(s), or if you have received this e-mail
in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by telephone or by
return e-mail.  You should also delete this e-mail message and destroy any hard
copies produced.