ADSM-L

Re: TSM restore media list

2003-12-03 15:26:25
Subject: Re: TSM restore media list
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 15:26:01 -0500
>        How to find out the offsite media list required for specific
> restoration?
>See, if I know the file or directory path and dates to restore, is there anyway
>to find out which tape should be used?

Brian - Whether onsite or offsite, the product provides no means for determining
        what volumes will be needed for a restoral of specific subsets of the
backed up environment.  There is no command of feasible SQL method for
determining
this in the general case.  Only in the simplest cases can there be any certainty
(e.g., filespace collocation, and only one tape thus far written for the
filespace).  This drawback derives from the file-oriented nature of the product,
where the philosophy is you should not need to be concerned with where files are
on what tape volumes.  It's an excellent philosophy, but inconvenient when you
are required to take some subset of your tapes to another environment to perform
restorals there.

  Richard Sims         http://people.bu.edu/rbs