ADSM-L

TSM from AIX 4.3.3 to AIX 5.2 ( library problem )

2003-12-02 06:31:50
Subject: TSM from AIX 4.3.3 to AIX 5.2 ( library problem )
From: Steven Bridge <ccaasub AT UCL.AC DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 11:29:00 +0000
I've 'migrated' a TSM server from an F40 running AIX 4.3.3
to a p615 running AIX 5.2.0.

We are running TSM version 5.1.8.0 .
This has been installed on the new machine.

I copied across the dsmserv.dsk and dsmserv.opt files to
the new machine, added tape & library devices again and
restarted TSM on the new machine.

The new machine is running in 64 bit mode so the code base won't be
exactly the same.

This is all worked OK apart from the fact that TSM appears unable
to access the tape library controller.

On start up, I get :

031201-162646:  ANR8300E I/O error on library STKLIB (OP=00006C02, CC=207,
KEY=FF, ASC=FF,
031201-162646:  ASCQ=FF,
031201-162646:  SENSE=**NONE**,
031201-162646:  Description=Device is not in a state capable of
031201-162646:  performing request).  Refer to Appendix D in the 'Messages'
manual for
031201-162646:  recommended action.

I deleted the drive and library paths and the drive and library
definitions within TSM. When I try to recreate the library path,
I get :

tsm: ADSM>define library stklib libt=scsi
ANR8400I Library STKLIB defined.

tsm: ADSM>define path ADSM STKLIB  srct=server destt=LIBRARY device=/dev/lb0
ANR8418E DEFINE PATH: An I/O error occurred while accessing library STKLIB.
ANS8001I Return code 15.

tsm: ADSM>define path ADSM STKLIB  srct=server destt=LIBRARY device=lb0
ANR8418E DEFINE PATH: An I/O error occurred while accessing library STKLIB.
ANS8001I Return code 15.

I was using new cables to the new machine, so I switched them around since
the library controller and 1 drive was attached to one scsi card and
2 other drives are attached to another scsi card. Now getting :

031202-090839:  ANR8843E Initialization failed for SCSI library STKLIB - the
library will be
031202-090839:  inaccessible.
031202-090839:  ANR8441E Initialization failed for SCSI library STKLIB.

and trying to define the path :

2003.12.02 10:45:19  ANR2017I Administrator ADMIN issued command: DEFINE PATH
                      adsm stklib srct=server destt=library device=lb0
2003.12.02 10:45:39  ANR8840E Unable to open device lb0 with error 2.
2003.12.02 10:45:39  ANR8418E DEFINE PATH: An I/O error occurred while
                      accessing library STKLIB.

The machine has detected the tape drives, both the single one on the
same scsi chain as the library controller and the two on the other
scsi card.

Is it possible that the physical cabling is good enough for the tape
drive to be seen but not for the library to be seen ?

On startup, if I haven't defined a path to the library what information
is it using to find the library ?

Are there any commands I can use to check the library out outside of
TSM ?

The library is a StorageTek 9714.

lsdev -C | egrep 'mt|lb' gives :

lb0         Available 1c-08-00-6,0  N/A
mt0         Available 1c-08-00-0,0  N/A
mt1         Available 1Z-08-00-1,0  N/A
mt2         Available 1Z-08-00-2,0  N/A
rmt0        Defined   1Z-08-00-0,0  Other SCSI Tape Drive
rmt1        Defined   1c-08-00-1,0  Other SCSI Tape Drive
rmt2        Defined   1c-08-00-2,0  Other SCSI Tape Drive
rmt3        Available 1Z-08-00-1,0  Other SCSI Tape Drive
rmt4        Available 1Z-08-00-2,0  Other SCSI Tape Drive
rmt5        Available 1c-08-00-0,0  Other SCSI Tape Drive

Any suggestions, gratefully received.

 Steven Bridge     Systems Group, Information Systems, EISD
                          University College London