ADSM-L

Re: Hanging Windows clients

2003-11-27 09:34:09
Subject: Re: Hanging Windows clients
From: Janice Lachapelle <Janice_Lachapelle AT CANADALIFE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 09:18:48 -0500
We had the same problem here with the Windows Clients (5.1.0).  There is a
TSM client fix 5.1.6.  that has been 100% successful with all of our
servers.

                      Alexander

                      Verkooijen               To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      <[email protected]        cc:

                      L>                       Subject:  Hanging Windows
clients
                      Sent by: "ADSM:

                      Dist Stor

                      Manager"

                      <[email protected]

                      .EDU>

                      11/27/03 07:56 AM

                      Please respond to

                      "ADSM: Dist Stor

                      Manager"

Hi all,

One of our customers has a mix of Windows 2000
and Linux clients. The Windows clients
run the scheduler service. The service on
these clients has to be restarted every
few days because the client hangs in the
middle of a scheduled incremetal backup.
The dsmsched.log gives no clue to what is wrong:

11/21/2003 02:24:51 Normal File-->            20,240
\\bla\c$\WINNT\VMMREG32.DLL [Sent]
11/21/2003 02:24:51 Normal File-->           256,192
\\bla\c$\WINNT\WINHELP.EXE [Sent]
11/21/2003 02:24:51 Normal File-->           269,584
\\bla\c$\WINNT\WINHLP32.EXE [Sent]
11/21/2003 02:24:51 Normal File-->           193,296
\\bla\c$\WINNT\WINREP.EXE [Sent]

And then it stops.
(The service is still running but it doesn't do anything until
it is restarted)

After an hour the session times out and the server terminates it.
The activity log on the server also contains no messages about
this client other than the time out message.

The dsmerror.log contains no messages for the time period the client
stopped
backing up.

Only the Windows clients have this problem, the Linux clients
are unaffected.

The clients are mainly 5.1.5.0 but I asked the customer
to upgrade one of his clients to 5.2.0.6
He did, but this client shows the same behavior.

The clients do not use the journal engine service or
anti-virus software.

Our server is at Version 5, Release 2, Level 1.2 on AIX 5.1

We have other customers running Windows clients, none of them has
this problem.

I'm probably going to call IBM support about this but I was wondering
if anybody here has any idea what is going wrong.

Regards,

Alexander

Alexander Verkooijen
Senior Systems Programmer
High Performance Computing
SARA Computing & Networking Services

Disclaimer Notice: If you are not the intended recipient of this
transmission, you are hereby notified that any disclosure or other action
taken in reliance on its contents is strictly prohibited. Please delete the
information from your system and notify the sender immediately. We have
taken precautions against viruses, but take no responsibility for loss or
damage that may be caused by its contents.
Avertissement:
Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire du présent message, soyez par la
présente avisé que toute divulgation ou autre action effectuée en rapport
avec le contenu du message est formellement interdite. Si vous avez reçu ce
message par erreur, veuillez nous en aviser sans délai par un courriel de
réponse et effacer les renseignements de votre système. Nous prenons toutes
les précautions nécessaires pour nous assurer que le présent message ne
contient pas de virus mais nous n'assumons aucune responsabilité quant à la
perte ou aux dommages qui pourraient être causés par son contenu.