ADSM-L

selective of HSM files

2003-11-27 05:44:21
Subject: selective of HSM files
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 11:41:47 +0100
Hi all,

for some reason I decided I wanted to do a selective of some HSM
filesystems. I know from experience that if a file is migrated before the
first incremental, the server makes an internal copy, ie. the file is not
recalled first to the client. Now, on our production server we require files
to be backed-up before migration, so normal incremental allways reads from
disk. I expected the selective to behave in the same way as incremental of
migrated files, but, to my great surprise, TSM is recalling each and every
file that selective backs-up. The manual is unclear on weather or not this
is a feature, and unfortunately, this means I cannot do a selective on my
filesystems as I had intended.

So, has anyone noticed this bahaviour before? We are running client version
5.2.0.0 on AIX jfs....

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Reken- en Netwerkdiensten                      http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 8008    Fax. +31 20 668 3167

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the computer
industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the computer industry
didn't even foresee that the century was going to end." -- Douglas Adams