ADSM-L

Re: Reclamation Pr. Hanging

2003-11-26 09:47:58
Subject: Re: Reclamation Pr. Hanging
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 09:47:39 -0500
>This one is a real bugger....turns out the tape is physically in the library
>slot and the 3494 library manager knows about it, but the TSM library manager
>instance still thinks it's dismounting...and the process is hanging. The only
>thing I can think of beyond is to recycle the library manager instance of TSM
>clear the mount state for the volume. No locks, no deadlocks, just an MIA
>process?

Interesting. This is why we systems people all want video cameras in the
computer room.  I'll bet an operator responded to the problem, manually
extricated the tape from the drive, and either put it into cell 1 so that the
robot would put it back into its home cell (most likely), or manually put the
tape back into its cell.  But because of the manual action, TSM has not received
information about the tape dismounting.

A situation like this often can't be fixed by an action less than recycling
the TSM server.  I would first try going to the 3494 panel and rendering the
drive Unavailable for a while, to see if that state change gets back to TSM so
that it clears things, then put it back to Available via the panel.
Post watch on that questionable tape drive, which may need service.

It's always something.  Well, it's nice to be employed.

   Richard Sims, BU