ADSM-L

Re: TSM5.1 command line and JAVA

2003-11-25 18:55:00
Subject: Re: TSM5.1 command line and JAVA
From: Ben Bullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 16:54:37 -0700
        Just to add a little fuel to the Java/M$ fire,

        Our desktop admins rolled out the Java 1.4.2 PlugIn to all of
our XP desktops last week. Suddenly many of our TSM web clients are not
coming up, and in fact the dsmcad process starts consuming VAST amounts
of CPU cycles until it's restarted.

        After poking about at the TSM web site, and finding quite a few
JAVA hits in APARs, I found the one that fixed our problem:

APAR IC36936

APAR status
Closed as documentation error.

Error description
Customers running web browsers with JRE 1.4.1 installed experience
frequent hangs during web client login.  damcad port remains in
CLOSED_WAIT status and dsmcad has to be restarted.

Local fix
Turning off applet caching from the JRE control panel circumvent the
problem.

Problem summary
* USERS AFFECTED: All TSM V5.2 clients except Mac              *
* PROBLEM DESCRIPTION: If using a browser to access the TSM    *
*          client CAD using JRE 1.4 and above,     *
*                      may get a hang.                         *
* RECOMMENDATION: Disable caching in the JRE.                  *

Problem conclusion
This problem is actually a problem with the Java plug-in,
which is not under TSM control. TSM is documenting a
workaround in the README: disable caching.
Caching can be disabled through the "Java Plug-in Control Panel" under
the "Cache" tab.

Temporary fix

Comments

APAR information
APAR number     IC36936
Reported component name TSM CLIENT 5.1
Reported component ID   5698ISMCL
Reported release        52W
Status  CLOSED DOC
PE      NoPE
HIPER   NoHIPER
Submitted date  2003-08-08
Closed date     2003-10-23
Last modified date      2003-10-23

        So you go to "Start", "Control Panel", "Java Plug-In". Click on
the "Cache" tab, un-check the "Enable Caching" box and then hit "Apply".

        I also found this hit, which might more closely match what you
are seeing:

*************************************
Problem Java Exception errors when using IE 5.5 or IE 6 to access our
TSM Server Web Admin
Solution With the release of Java 1.3.1 and 1.4.x there is a new
function added that performs a checksum check. Our Web Admin does not
return one. This can cause a Java exception if the IE browsers are
enabled to use Java2 for applets.

The use of Java2 for applets is a feature that can be turned off from
the Internet Options Advanced settings menu. (looks like it takes a
reboot)

Once this setting is set to off (not checked) the TSM Web Admin Applet
will use the browser's Java to load the Admin Interface.

Good luck,
Ben