ADSM-L

Re: Veritas Volume Mgr./TSM

2003-11-10 07:56:04
Subject: Re: Veritas Volume Mgr./TSM
From: Paul Ripke <stix AT STIX.HOMEUNIX DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 23:55:19 +1100
On Friday, Nov 7, 2003, at 00:32 Australia/Sydney, Brenda Collins wrote:

Has anyone been successful in setting up Veritas to control the disk
for
your TSM server?  This is the second time we have tried it now and it
totally degrades performance on our backups.  The last time we tried,
we
assumed it was the size of our disk volumes because they were extremely
large.    We just tried it again last night with 42 GB volumes.  Now I
am
sitting here with our backups still running and the users are not
happy!

Environment:  Solaris 8, Sunfire 880, TSM Server 5.1.7.3, clients -
various
levels of ver. 5,

We run two TSM servers on E3500's, with fibre attached A5x00 disk units.
All TSM DB, log and stgpool volumes are Veritas raw devices, DB being
plain plexes, 3 or 4 per physical disk, and disk stgpool volumes being
RAID 5. It helps if you can tune the RAID 5 layout to allow TSM to write
a full stripe in one go - TSM uses 256 KB blocks for disk stgpool
volumes.

Cheers,
--
Paul Ripke