ADSM-L

Re: TSM Server upgrade and client inter-operability

2003-11-06 12:03:56
Subject: Re: TSM Server upgrade and client inter-operability
From: Karel Bos <Karel.Bos AT NUON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 18:03:33 +0100
Hi,

We have v5.1.0 server.  If I'm looking at it correctly, I should be
able to upgrade that to the most recent version of 5.1, i.e. we have a
license for any 5.1.x.  Am I correct here?

>> Correct.

I have a few Linux machines to backup (Redhat 9).  They fulfill the
requirements of the client (2.4 kernel, glibc 2.2 etc), so I'm looking
at the 5.1.6 client.  But my server is only at 5.1.0.
Now, I THINK it would work fine, but given the number strange problems
I've read about (e.g. "session table never works right" kind of
problems) I'd rather get some actual feedback from people with
experience with this kind of setup.

>> Linux clients 4.1.x true 5.1.5.x on tsmserver 5.1.x didn't give me that
problem.

Recap --
Given that we bought 5.1.0(LATEST is 5.1.8) server for Windows, what
level can I upgrade to with my current license?
What problems/issues will I face if I upgrade?  DB compatibility etc.
Gotcha's?

>> You are able to upgrade within the 5.1.x range. Read the supplied
readme's of the serverlevel to see what kind of problems you are have and is
solved in that level. The easy answer is: Go to the highest level in you
range, it solves a lot of problems. The small letters are: New levels
introduce new or sometimes old problems. I think you should at lest be at
5.1.7.x server level and client level 5.1.5.x.

Best client version for Linux Redhat9 to backup to said server (5.1.0
or 5.1.8 server), client versions 5.1.0 -> 5.1.6.

sim

Regard,

Karel