ADSM-L

Re: Upgraded Tape Drives and Scratch Tapes

2003-11-06 09:48:26
Subject: Re: Upgraded Tape Drives and Scratch Tapes
From: Farren Minns <fminns AT WILEY.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 14:47:04 +0000
Hi TSMers

TSM 5.1.6.2. running on Solaris 2.7

Regarding the upgrade from B1A to H1A tape drives (housed in a 3494
library).

The drives and library code are being upgraded as I speak (or type).
Yesterday I upgraded the IBMtape level to 4.0.8.0 and the lmcpd code to
5.3.9.0, so I can assume that I'm pretty up to date here. Can I also
assume, that all being well the OS will pick up these devices itself and
assign it the necessary device special file names. I know it does normally,
but being H1A devices I just want to check.

Also, is there any real reason to create a new device class within TSM or
will the following device configuration still be correct.

/* Device Configuration */
DEFINE DEVCLASS 3590CLASS1 DEVTYPE=3590 FORMAT=DRIVE MOUNTLIMIT=DRIVES
MOUNTWAIT=60 MOUNTRETENTION=2 PREFIX=ADSM LIBRARY=3494A
SET SERVERNAME SERVER1
DEFINE LIBRARY 3494A LIBTYPE=349X PRIVATECATEGORY=300 SCRATCHCATEGORY=301
SHARED=NO
DEFINE DRIVE 3494A DRIVE1 ONLINE=Yes
DEFINE DRIVE 3494A DRIVE2 ONLINE=Yes
DEFINE PATH SERVER1 3494A SRCTYPE=SERVER DESTTYPE=LIBRARY DEVICE=3494a
ONLINE=YES
DEFINE PATH SERVER1 DRIVE1 SRCTYPE=SERVER DESTTYPE=DRIVE LIBRARY=3494A
DEVICE=/dev/rmt/0stc ONLINE=YES
DEFINE PATH SERVER1 DRIVE2 SRCTYPE=SERVER DESTTYPE=DRIVE LIBRARY=3494A
DEVICE=/dev/rmt/1stc ONLINE=YES

Thanks in advance

All the best

Farren Minns - John Wiley & Sons
|+-------------------------------+----------------------------------------|
||   Bill Fitzgerald             |                                        |
||   <wfitzger AT MHC DOT NET>          |

||   Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor   |   To:        ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

||   Manager"                    |           cc:                          |
||   <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>      |           Subject:        Re:
Upgraded |
||                               |   Tape Drives and Scratch Tapes        |
||   11/05/2003 04:28 PM         |                                        |
||   Please respond to "ADSM:    |                                        |
||   Dist Stor Manager"          |                                        |
||                               |                                        |
|+-------------------------------+----------------------------------------|

actually I just did a migration from 4 3590B to 6 3590E

You do not have to change access on all tapepool tapes to read-only, only
the ones with the status of FILLING although doing it to the entire pool
will not cause any problems. you will however have to move the data from
the filling volumes to new volumes using the move data command as TSM does
not reclaim space from tapes in the primary sequential pool in the filling
mode.

I checked out all the scratch and then checked them back in just to be
safe.

>>> fminns AT WILEY.CO DOT UK 11/05/03 10:14AM >>>
Hi again all

TSM 5.1.6.2 on Solaris 2.7

Tomorrow we are having our B1A drives upgraded to H1A (housed in a 3494
library). Once this has been done, I understand that I will need to mark
all TAPEPOOL volumes as readonly (see prev post), but can I assume that I
need to relable all the scratch tapes that are in the lib at present, so
that they use the new formatting?

Many thanks again

All the best

Farren Minns - John Wiley & Sons

This email transmission is confidential and intended for the person or
organisation it is addressed to. If you are not the intended recipient, you
must not copy, distribute, or disseminate the information, open any
attachment, or take any action in reliance of it. If you have received this
message in error please notify the sender.

except where the sender specifically states otherwise.

Although this email has been scanned for viruses you should rely on your
own virus check, as the sender takes no responsibility for any damage
arising out of any bug or virus infection.