ADSM-L

Re: Failed archive schedule

2003-11-03 10:01:42
Subject: Re: Failed archive schedule
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 10:01:20 -0500
>thanks for your reply, but I meen this is not point of problem. Mentioned
>server is fileserver and one of users has removed ALL permisions from his
>files at this fileserver (including system account, which is running TSM
>Scheduler), so his files cannot be backed up. He know about it and
>understand it, that's OK, but now point of problem is how to exclude these
>files (exactly directories) from archives. As far as I know, exclude.dir
>acts only for backups and when I put exclude.archive option for files, TSM
>will try to archive directories though. Am I true?

Sorry... I did not perceive an issue of directory archiving from the posting.

As far as I know, EXCLUDE.Archive operates only on files, so directories in the
path of the archived object will also be archived...but they will only be
archived once: a subsequent archive of the same file should not result in the
directories being sent again because they are already in the server.  Perform
a trivial experiment on one of your own files to verify this at your release
level.

The TSM 4.2 Technical Guide redbook, part 3.2 "Enhancement for handling archived
files" nicely summarizes other options: Filesonly and V2archive.  As always,
consider the scope of the effects of such options.
Also see http://www-1.ibm.com/support/techdocs/atsmastr.nsf/WebIndex/WP100254
which summarizes use of the Archive function and storage object redundancy.

   Richard Sims, BU