ADSM-L

Re: CLEANUP BACKUPGROUPS question

2003-11-02 15:47:05
Subject: Re: CLEANUP BACKUPGROUPS question
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 14:46:31 -0600
>On 18-Nov-02 Charles F. Fisher wrote:
>> The site I'm at is getting ready to upgrade to 4.2.3.  One reason is to be
>> able to run CLEANUP BACKUPGROUPS on the database; are there any special
>> actions or precautions that should be taken before doing so (once the
>> upgrade is in place)?
>
>We didn't and just run CLEANUP BACKUPGROUP:
>
>11/15/02   14:50:34  ANR0984I Process 1781 for CLEANUP BACKUPGROUPS started
>                     in the BACKGROUND at 14:50:34.
>11/15/02   18:10:24  ANR4730I CLEANUP BACKUPGROUPS evaluated 3541 groups
>                     and deleted 235 orphan groups with  412737 group members
>                     deleted with completion state  'FINISHED'.
>11/15/02   18:10:25  ANR0987I Process 1781 for CLEANUP BACKUPGROUPS running in
>                     the BACKGROUND processed 3541 items with a completion
>                     state of SUCCESS at 18:10:25.
>
>Cheers,
>Henk ten Have

As far as special precautions, CLEANUP BACKUPGROUPS can fill your Log
unexpectedly! Especially if it is doing any good, and you are in NORMAL
mode.

I was happily humming along running CLEANUP BACKUPGROUPS, which was
flying like bats out of hell (it was, after all, Halloween) and reducing
the size of the database very nicely, when the log filled up. (In the
middle of the night, of course.)

Impossible I thought, because we have a 12gb Log and run in NORMAL mode.
But it makes sense, that if CLEANUP BACKUPGROUPS is throwing away
database information, that information is being moved into the Log in
case a database restore is needed. Usual documented log-full recovery
steps were effective.

So, watch your Log. If it threatens to fill up, cancel the CLEANUP
BACKUPGROUPS process and run a database backup to empty the Log before
restarting it. Unlike AUDIT DB, CLEANUP BACKUPGROUPS restarts pretty
much where it left off if you have to cancel it, which is nice.

==================== No good deed goes unpunished.=====================