ADSM-L

Re: server to server question

2003-11-02 06:06:49
Subject: Re: server to server question
From: Steven Pemberton <stevep AT IBK.COM DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 19:04:09 +0800
On Thursday 30 October 2003 14:53, Oscar Kolsteren wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> we have a server to server connection for disaster recovery reasons.
>
> I read that the data to the target system will come in the archive pool.
> My question is; what is the meaning of "Retain Version" in the Archive Copy
> Group ?
>
> If I put 365 in it, will all my data be lost after 365 days or will there
> still be one active version left ?
>
> We had a value of NOLIMIT in it, but there is an inconsistance between the
> data TSM thinks we have at our site (+/- 2 TB) and the data TSM at the
> recovery site thinks we have (-/+ 10 TB)

Oscar,

On your source server, the data is stored in the primary storage pools, you
are then copying this data to virtual volumes in your server-to-server copy
storage pool.

In both cases (primary and copy) the data retention is always managed by the
source server's normal management class and copy group paramterers.

The copy storage pool virtual volumes are then sent to the remote server,
which accepts them as "archive" objects. Since these archive objects belong
to a node of type=server, all the normal archive copy group paramaters are
ignored, except the storage destination.

Thus the remote server will retain the virtual volumes *forever*, regardless
of the retention value, until told otherwise by the source server. FWIW I
always specify "nolimit" just to stop people worrying. :)

The retention of the source server's data is managed by the source server. The
reclamation of the virtual volumes is also managed by the source server.

The remote server retains the virtual volumes until after they have been
reclaimed by the source server. Later, the target server may reclam the real
physical volume that previously stored many virtual volumes.

Confused yet?

Sometimes (due to comms problems, etc) there may be a discrepancy between the
two TSM servers. You should occasionally schedule "reconcile volumes" on the
source server to syncronize their views on which volumes need to be retained.

Regards,
Steven P.

--
Steven Pemberton
Senior Enterprise Management Consultant

Mobile: +61/0 418 335 136 | Phone: +61/3 9820 5811 | Fax: +61/3 9820 9907
Level 1, 11 Queens Road, Melbourne, Victoria, 3004, Australia
http://www.senetas.com.au | http://www.ibk.com.au | http://www.datum.com.au