ADSM-L

Re: maximumsglist - lanfree

2003-10-31 03:29:23
Subject: Re: maximumsglist - lanfree
From: Zlatko Krastev <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:27:52 +0200
Looking to mail user - you love tsm, not the news :-()

The bad news: this problem might affect any SAN tape operation!!! Be it
over LAN with TSM server writing to SAN tape, be it LAN-free with storage
agent, even with "competitive" product (the problem was introduced by
QLogic; IBM, Legato and Veritas were some of the affected parties)!!!

It is even harder to track and detect the problem and its impact as you
can have different settings on different systems. For example, TSM server
might have old driver with default value of 0x41, while newly installed
storage agent might be with 0x21 and corrupted LAN-free backups.
If we bring the change management in the equation the things are getting
even worse. Example: same TSM server (old driver, 0x41) using LTO1 drives
was connected to upgraded fabric with bigger SAN switches and the driver
got upgraded - you may introduce a problem into formerly working
environment.
etc, etc...

Go and investigate:
- when the TSM was installed?
- who have installed it?
- which version of the driver did he/she used?
- was he/she aware of the MaximumSGList issue and was the value increased?
- was the SAN changed?
- was the Windows service Packed with driver update?

And do not forget to inform the management! You will have some sleepless
nights, let them share your glory.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

i love tsm <ilovetsm AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
30.10.2003 17:06