ADSM-L

Re: Remove disk pool volume, it won't die!!

2003-10-29 11:36:57
Subject: Re: Remove disk pool volume, it won't die!!
From: "William F. Colwell" <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 11:36:21 -0500
Mike -

I had this happen many years and releases ago when I was moving the
diskpool from one device to another.

I got rid of the problem volumes by doing a restore volume on them;
of course this assumes you are using copypools.

Do 'restore v <volume_name> preview=yes' and get the tapes back from offsite.
Mark the tapes onsite and do the restore without preview=yes.  When the restore
is done tsm will delete the volume.  At least that is how it worked for me.

Bill Colwell

At 03:29 PM 10/22/2003, you wrote:
>        I run TSM 4.2 on Solaris 8.  I was in the process of converting all of
> the diskpool volumes from OS mounted files to raw partitions to fix some
> performance issues we have been experiencing with backups when I hit a little
> problem.  I disabled sessions and allowed migration to run to completion.
> All volumes in the diskpool were listed at 0% util.  I was able to delete all
> volumes except 1, it claimed there was still data in it.  Still showed 0% for
> the volume doing a q vol, but I ran an audit on the volume, it said that
> there was no data in it.  I restarted the server, still claimed there was
> data in there.  I tried "del vol /tsmdata1/data1 discardd=yes", no effect,
> guess that option does not work for devices of type DISK?
>        Now comes the point where I did something I probably shouldn't have.
> I stopped TSM again, deleted the file at the OS level, unmounted the
> partition, restarted TSM, and defined this last volume using the raw
> partition (others I had already done).  This all worked fine, but I still
> have this dangling volume that it of course can't mount so it's offline.Still
> getting "ANS8001I Return code 13" when I try to delete the volume.  Log says:
>
>10/22/03   20:26:51      ANR2406E DELETE VOLUME: Volume /tsmdata4/data1 still
>                                  contains data.
>
>Any suggestions on how I can nuke this volume once and for all.  I realize I
>might have lost a few files if this volume did in fact contain some data, but
>I am not that concerned abou that right now.  Thanks!
>
>Michael French
>Savvis Communications
>IDS01 Santa Clara, CA
>(408)450-7812 -- desk