ADSM-L

Re: Quick TSM DB Recovery Options

2003-10-28 07:01:11
Subject: Re: Quick TSM DB Recovery Options
From: "Hart, Charles" <charles.hart AT MEDTRONIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 06:00:50 -0600
Thank you Paul!

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Ripke [mailto:stix AT STIX.HOMEUNIX DOT NET]
Sent: Monday, October 27, 2003 4:46 PM
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

On Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003, at 05:17 Australia/Sydney, Hart, Charles
wrote:

> We will be upgrading a TSM Server (AIX 4.3.3/ H80) with 100GB TSM DB.
> This backup server plays an important role for our Oracle DB's as it
> archives the Oracle logs all day long.  (Not using RMAN yet) Our TSM
> upgrade from 4.1.6 to 5.7.1 is estimated at 10-12 hours for the
> upgrade db process.
>
> If for some reason the upgrade fails we will have to recover ASAP for
> the sake of the oracle log file systems will be filling up.  With that
> said we are looking at a couple quick recovery options in case we have
> to roll back the TSM DB.  Here's a couple options we have though of so
> far...
>
> 1) Create a Second TSM DB Copy Mirror (TSM Mirroring)  In hopes that
> we could break it off prior to the upgrade so it can then run as
> primary?
> 2) Do a backup db to a device type of file.
>
> Any input or other ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!  I will be
> calling Tivoli Tech Support as well to see what they suggest.

Our method was - with a smaller DB:

1. Stop client access.
2. Migrate disk pools.
3. Shut down TSM.
4. 'dd' DB and log raw volumes to tape.

This has the advantage of being able to stream to tape (3590 in our
case),
and is a "cold" backup of TSM state. Mind you, we never had to restore
from it, YMMV.

Given your DB size, I'd got with your option 1. Rename whichever sets of
volumes out of the way with TSM shut down, and they shouldn't get
touched.
Your fallback for upgrade will be a TSM shutdown, bunch of renames, TSM
reinstall and TSM startup (and eventual remirror). I wouldn't split off
the mirror inside TSM - leave TSM thinking it has three copies. Just
rename at the OS level to control which sets of volumes TSM uses.

Cheers,
--
Paul Ripke
Unix/OpenVMS/TSM/DBA