ADSM-L

Antwort: Re: TDP for Lotus Domino 5.1.5.1

2003-10-28 04:20:15
Subject: Antwort: Re: TDP for Lotus Domino 5.1.5.1
From: Rainer Holzinger <Rainer.Holzinger AT UPM-KYMMENE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 10:11:56 +0100
Hi Richard,

thank you for your reply.
I will ask IBM/Tivoli support for a solution about to suprress all these
messages being sent to TSM activity log. Maybe they have an answer. If they
have and you are interested I will forward that to you.

Regarding to my second question, your proposal is a good one which I
already tested before. But as you mentioned, doing it that way I will lose
TSM's return code and informations about backup end time are quite
different from real backup end. Currently our Domino guys are using these
informations for monitoring and reporting purposes. In general it seems I
have to ask them what's more important, having these informations (which
may be collected from anywhere else, e.g. TDPD log-file where backup
duration is mentioned as a value in seconds :-{ as well as the amount of
data in bytes, again :-{ , but it's there), or having the guarantee that
Domino archived transaction logs may be picked up and saved into TSM
storage.

Thank you Richard.
regards,
Rainer

                      Richard Foster
                      <Richard.Foster@         An:      ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT
EDU
                      HYDRO.COM>               Kopie:
                      Gesendet von:            Thema:   Re: TDP for Lotus
Domino 5.1.5.1
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      T.EDU>

                      24.10.2003 09:59
                      Bitte antworten
                      an "ADSM: Dist
                      Stor Manager"

Rainer

I don't know the answer to your 1st question - we just accept the thousands
of messages on the log. We run the log through a filter script to select
the ones we're interested in, so we keep the full log on the server in case
we need to read it, and use the filtered version for daily monitoring.

The standard answer to your 2nd question is to put the backup command into
the background (possibly by using a script), so that the scheduler returns
control immediately and can then go on and do other things like archiving
logs. We've had to do this for all large backups (SAP, Domino and
filesystems), otherwise disk areas for archive logs fill up, as you
predict. You lose the return code in TSM, but if you write a script you can
monitor that yourself.

See the ADSM-L archives for many discussions of this.

Richard Foster

NOTICE: This e-mail transmission, and any documents, files or previous
e-mail messages attached to it, may contain confidential or privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person
responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of
any of the information contained in or attached to this message is
STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this transmission in error,
please immediately notify the sender and delete the e-mail and attached
documents. Thank you.