ADSM-L

Re: Rapid DB Growth

2003-10-27 19:54:14
Subject: Re: Rapid DB Growth
From: Paul Ripke <stix AT STIX.HOMEUNIX DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:49:06 +1100
On Monday, Oct 27, 2003, at 23:41 Australia/Sydney, Richard Sims wrote:

I am having a problem with the DB increasing quite rapidly on our TSM
5.1.2
os/390 server.  It has a 60 GB database and over the weekend it went
from
77% utilization to 88% utilization.  Does anyone have any suggestions
on
where to look or what may be causing the DB to fill so quickly? ...

Joni - See "Database consumption factors" in
       http://people.bu.edu/rbs/ADSM.QuickFacts
Runaway archiving is a frequently cited cause; or the sudden population
growth of a backed up file system (many small files).
A simple way to check for who's adding a lot of data is to get the
volnames
of recent, busy output tapes and do Query Content on them.

A good one that gets us frequently is global ACL changes on NT servers
with
a few million files. Forces a full backup, and adds quite a few million
objects to the TSM DB.

Cheers,
--
Paul Ripke