ADSM-L

Re: write speed for LTO2 drive using LTO1 tape

2003-10-27 09:54:04
Subject: Re: write speed for LTO2 drive using LTO1 tape
From: Zlatko Krastev <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 16:05:27 +0200
As the LTO2 cartridges differ from LTO1, their speeds also differ. However
according to IBM's specs (I have not looked this info for HP or Seagate) -
an LTO2 drive can read/write LTO1 cartridge at 20 MB/s native. This is to
be considered 33% improvement and your 26 MB/s may simply mean you are
getting 1,3:1 compression ratio. With same compression LTO1 drive ought to
give you 1,3 x 15 MB ~= 19,5 MB/s. If you use LTO2 cartridges, you may get
1,3 x 35 (or 30 for HP/Seagate) ~= 45 MB/s.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Markus Veit <markus.veit AT SCALEON DOT DE>
24.10.2003 14:42