ADSM-L

Re: Rapid DB Growth

2003-10-27 07:43:31
Subject: Re: Rapid DB Growth
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 07:41:46 -0500
>I am having a problem with the DB increasing quite rapidly on our TSM 5.1.2
>os/390 server.  It has a 60 GB database and over the weekend it went from
>77% utilization to 88% utilization.  Does anyone have any suggestions on
>where to look or what may be causing the DB to fill so quickly? ...

Joni - See "Database consumption factors" in
       http://people.bu.edu/rbs/ADSM.QuickFacts
Runaway archiving is a frequently cited cause; or the sudden population
growth of a backed up file system (many small files).
A simple way to check for who's adding a lot of data is to get the volnames
of recent, busy output tapes and do Query Content on them.

  Richard Sims, BU