ADSM-L

Re: dsmserv

2003-10-25 20:20:15
Subject: Re: dsmserv
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 20:17:55 -0400
A quick answer for Saturday night.  I haven't done what you are
attempting and I have TSM server on AIX not W2K.  And I have done
a restore to a DR site machine, not as a separate instance.

But a few answers that are applicable no matter what.

Yes, you have to format the new volumes.  You can do it manually
or do some editing of the DRM scripts used for restore.  You need
to also edit the dsmserv.dsk file (I think that's the same name used
on W2K), BEFORE you start running the scripts.

You have to kind of modify the normal process.  The offsite
DRM scripts assume you are on a clean machine for restore.
Onsite assumes this is the ONLY TSM server instance and uses
the existing volumes to do restore to.

Like I said, a quick answer.

David B. Longo
System Administrator
Health First, Inc.
3300 Fiske Blvd.
Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
PH      321.434.5536
Pager  321.634.8230
Fax:    321.434.5509
david.longo AT health-first DOT org

>>> rees_chris AT HOTMAIL DOT COM 10/25/03 07:17PM >>>
All

A quick question ( TSM Server win2000 )

I am trying to restore a db backup from this morning.   I want to restore it
into a new instance on the same server but using different drives for the
dbvols and log vols.

Is there a quicker way to do this other than

mkdir drserver
cd drserver
..\server\dsmserv -k drserver format 1 newlogvol size 3 newdbvol size etc
etc
..\server\dsmserv -k restore db todate=10/25/2003 etc etc etc

Also if I ran the format and didn't allocate enough space for the database,
is there a way to format/add just one more volume to make the extra space
before doing the restore , or would i need to start the format again giving
all the dbvols again?

Our database is 67Gb so the format takes a while :-)

Cheers

Chris

Send instant messages to anyone on your contact list with  MSN Messenger
6.0.  Try it now FREE!  http://msnmessenger-download.com

This message is for the named person's use only.  It may
contain confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged
information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived or
lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message
in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it
from your system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify
the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use,
disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message
if you are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves
the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its
networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in this message
are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where
the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of
a particular entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by
the entity to give such views or opinions.