ADSM-L

Re: Cleaning Machine for 3590 cartridges

2003-10-24 07:53:01
Subject: Re: Cleaning Machine for 3590 cartridges
From: Zlatko Krastev <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 14:49:50 +0300
You did not called it IBM but I assumed it being unaware of the device.
Thanks to Richard's clarification I was able to figure it out.

Now to the topic:
if you really need to use such machine, it would certainly mean your
server room environment is *dirty*! If it indeed is, the risk of losing
data would be rather close to the risk when you are not doing backups at
all. I can only quote a sentence not invented by me:
"Poor security is worse than no security at all, as it provides fake sense
of security!"

If your library environment is clean enough (through using and regular
cleaning of appropriate filters in conditioners) and your operators are
handling tapes only through library I/O station - you should not need such
a device. At that point I personally would react nearly as Tom suggested.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

"Pearson, Dave" <DCPearson AT SNOPUD DOT COM>
23.10.2003 17:26