ADSM-L

Move nodedata - what is moved first

2003-10-23 00:09:36
Subject: Move nodedata - what is moved first
From: StorageGroupAdmin StorageGroupAdmin <StorageGroupAdmin AT SYDNEYWATER.COM DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 14:07:43 +1000
This email is to be read subject to the disclaimer below.

In an attempt to negate the mount time issue in the restore process I am
currenlty using "move nodedata" to co-locate data for some of our
servers . Currently, our main file server has data on over 200 3590
tapes therefore a directroy restore can potentially have hours added to
the process directly related to tape mounts.

back to the point......

Does any know the what method is used in determining which media within
a storage pool is mounted first.

For example, is it;
- tape last write date, ie oldest tape first
- newest data first (active files) and all other data on that media is
moved
- biggest file then all other data on the media is moved.

Why do I want to know?

To experdite the process, where possible,  I read from multiple tapes
onto our disk pool and then drain the pool to a single tape. The problem
is the disk storage is not large enough or I have to cancel the process
prior the night process being impacted.

Therefore, I need to know what is being moved next time I run the
process. Am I moving the same data again or will a subsequent execution
of the command basically start where I left off

Peter Griffin
Sydney Water

Mandatory water restrictions now apply in Sydney, Blue Mountains and the
Illawarra. Fines of $220 apply from 1 November 2003. No sprinklers or watering
systems at any time. No hosing of hard surfaces including vehicles at any time.
For more information visit www.sydneywater.com.au
NOTICE: This email is confidential. If you are not the nominated recipient,
please immediately delete this email, destroy all copies, and inform the
sender. Sydney Water Corporation (Sydney Water) prohibits the unauthorised
copying or distribution of this email. This email does not necessarily express
the views of Sydney Water. Sydney Water does not warrant nor guarantee that
this email communication is free from errors, virus, interception or
interference.