ADSM-L

Re: Backupsets on FILE devclasses: Mobile or not?

2003-10-22 13:33:55
Subject: Re: Backupsets on FILE devclasses: Mobile or not?
From: asr AT UFL DOT EDU
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 13:32:05 -0400
I said:

> If I make a backupset on a FILE devclass, and somehow consipre to move
> that backupset to a box that I think might need it, can I restore from
> it just as a file on disk?

[Executive summary, "Yes, so far."]

I experimented with this:  I built a backupset of a node, and then I copied
the raw file to the machine in question.  Then, I did a restore backupset
which worked normally.

I have not yet attempted to run a restore from a multi-volume backupset. It
seems clear, however, that if you can generate a backupset which you know
includes all you wish to restore you can cart around the raw file.

In some circumstances, I think this could be a better DR preparation than
burning to DVD, and I am certain it'd be very convenient for planned
rebuilds.

I have not yet attempted to do 'something' with a backupset from e.g. a unix
box using e.g. a windows box.  I don't think that would be an issue, but I'm
going to (to quote a quote) run and find out.

- Allen S. "Rikki" Rout