ADSM-L

Re: Novell to NT data migration

2003-10-22 08:38:30
Subject: Re: Novell to NT data migration
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 07:36:18 -0500
From: Bernard Rosenbloom [mailto:brosenbl AT OPTONLINE DOT NET]
>We use TSM v5 to back up Novell netware5 file servers and TSM v5/4.2 to
back up Novell netware 4 file servers. We want to restore the data
(using TSM) to Windows 2000 file servers.. We won't be restoring
applications,O/S or executables from Novell to windows only folders and
files. Restoring file permissions is not mandatory but would be nice.
I'm familiar with restoring files saved on one client to another client
but it's always been the same hardware platform. Anyone have experience
restoring novell files to W2K servers? <

As has been discussed many times in this mailing list (and is going into
the monthly FAQ for November) you *cannot* restore files backed up from
one type of operating system and restore it to a machine running a
different operating system. The files are built with entirely different
file structures. (Exception--you can restore Windows NTFS-based files to
another machine running another type of Windows using an NTFS
filesystem.)

Not going to happen. You're either going to have to copy the files
directly. A pain? Yes.