ADSM-L

Re: Database fragmentation formula (was Re: Online DB Reorg)

2003-10-21 09:46:01
Subject: Re: Database fragmentation formula (was Re: Online DB Reorg)
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:43:37 -0400
Please don't throw the concept out.  Like all tools it has it's place.

For example, we are thinking about reorg'ing one of our TSM databases.
Why?

1)  I ran a test reorg of one of our TSM databases on a test system.  The
db was 80gb
in size with 72gb used.  It shrunk to 40gb used.

As discussed -  it won't stay there very long,  BUT . . .

2)  We are changing our policies to cut down the versions we retain.

After   things settle down, I would like to run another test reorg.  It MAY
be
worth our while to do a reorg, or maybe not . . . we'll see . . .

Rick

                      "Hart, Charles"
                      <charles.hart@MED        To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      TRONIC.COM>              cc:       (bcc: Richard L.
Rhodes/OE/FirstEnergy)
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Re: Database
fragmentation formula (was Re: Online DB
                      Dist Stor                 Reorg)
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      10/21/2003 09:12
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Thank you for the response, If what you say is true, then I will forgo the
Reorg concept, as it appears to be a waste of time.