ADSM-L

Re: Too many DRM tapes leaving 3949 library daily.

2003-10-14 12:44:37
Subject: Re: Too many DRM tapes leaving 3949 library daily.
From: Alan Davenport <Alan.Davenport AT SELECTIVE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 12:40:42 -0400
Yes, it did indeed. I found non-critical data on the critical pool offsite
tapes. It turns out it was DIRECTORY data. When I moved to the library we
also moved to a new Unix (aix-rs/6000) TSM server from an OS390 box. On
recommendation from an IBM consultant I did NOT create a directory
management class so all directory information went to my longest retention
management class which was pointing to my critical, collocated pool. NOW I
understand why I was creating so many tapes per day! Looks like I have some
work to do this afternoon. I have to create TWO DIRMC's. One for the
critical pool and another for the non-critical servers. Thanks to everyone
who responded and helped me think this through.

              Take care,
                  Al

Alan Davenport
Senior Storage Administrator