ADSM-L

Re: Migrating 3590 tapes from OS/390 to Linux or Unix

2003-10-14 10:34:10
Subject: Re: Migrating 3590 tapes from OS/390 to Linux or Unix
From: David E Ehresman <deehre01 AT LOUISVILLE DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 10:31:52 -0400
 As part of the migration process, I moved groups of tapes into a
separate TMS subpool.  When the 3494 tried to use one of those tapes as
scratch, they were marked as in error in the OAM data base and the 3494
no longer tried to use them for MVS.  Then when I had a block cleared, I
moved them to delete status.

We physically ejected the tapes, then removed the volser range from
TMS, then reinserted the tapes.  If I had it to do over, I thiink I
would just use a AIX script to issue mtlib commands to change the
category from the MVS category code to the insert category and then tell
tsm to checkin libvol that range as scratch.

Even after ejecting/inserting the tapes, I still had to go back and do
IDCAMS 'DELETE VOLUMEENTRY' commands to cleanup the OAM database
entries.

David Ehresman
University of Louisville