ADSM-L

Re: Upgrading to TSM 5.2 on a AIX 4.3.3

2003-10-14 09:30:26
Subject: Re: Upgrading to TSM 5.2 on a AIX 4.3.3
From: Bill Fitzgerald <wfitzger AT MHC DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 09:28:21 -0400
thank you for the time and most helpful information.

>>> zforray AT VCU DOT EDU 10/14/03 09:24AM >>>
That seems to be the issue..........incomplete/incorrect documentation.

Here is the message I posted and the response I received:

This sentence means that it will NOT INSTALL. (it won't be supported
either).   :)

At 08:54 AM 10/9/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Based on the sentence:   "Based on IBM support for AIX 4.x Operating
>systems being withdrawn
>December 2003 ITSM V5R2 is not supported on AIX 4.x Operating Systems."
>does this mean that it also won't INSTALL/RUN on AIX 4.3.3 ?  or can we
>install/run TSM 5.2 on AIX 4.3.3 and it just isn't SUPPORTED ?
>

>Sam Giallanza <giallanz AT US.IBM DOT COM>
>Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
>10/08/2003 05:48 PM
>Please respond to "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"
>

>         To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
>         cc:
>         Subject:        New TSM Flash #10251
>

>TSM Community,
>
>Please see the new Flash text below.
>
>Registration to "My Support page"  will automate the Flash notification
>information you are now receiving.
>
>Flash 10251 Text:
>

>   Abstract: Installation of IBM Tivoli Storage Manager V5R2 requires AIX
>   5.1 ML1 or higher levels of AIX
>

>  Who is Effected:
>  IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Version 5, Release 2 customers using AIX 4 .
>
>  Problem:
>  Installation of IBM Tivoli Storage Manager V5R2 requires AIX 5.1 ML1 or
>  higher levels of AIX.
>
>  Based on IBM support for AIX 4.x Operating systems being withdrawn
>  December 2003 ITSM V5R2 is not supported on AIX 4.x Operating Systems.
>
>  GA Publications and README files do not identify the change in AIX and
>  ITSM Support. Future releases of ITSM Publications and README files
will
>  no longer list AIX 4 as a supported platform.
>
>  Recommendation:
>
>  To install and use IBM Tivoli Storage Manager v5r2 for AIX, first
upgrade
>  your Operating system to AIX 5.1 ML1 or later.
>

>One or more of the following URL links (depending on the selected
>audiences
>for the document) will show you the document:
>
>      http://w3.ibm.com/support/techdocs/atsmastr.nsf/WebIndex/FLASH10251
>      http://www.ibm.com/support/techdocs/atsmastr.nsf/WebIndex/FLASH10251
>      http://partners.boulder.ibm.com/src/atsmastr.nsf/WebIndex/FLASH10251
>

>Cordially,
>
>Sam J. Giallanza
>Tivoli Certified Consultant
>Pervasive Issues Manager
>Product Performance Customer Satisfaction (PPCS)
>giallanz AT us.ibm DOT com
>520.799.5512 - T/L 321.5512
>
>Our new web Support site and KB is at :
>
>http://www-3.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageManager.html

Dave Canan
TSM Performance
IBM Advanced Technical Support
ddcanan AT us.ibm DOT com

Bill Fitzgerald <wfitzger AT MHC DOT NET>
10/14/2003 09:19 AM