ADSM-L

Too many DRM tapes leaving 3949 library daily.

2003-10-13 14:19:30
Subject: Too many DRM tapes leaving 3949 library daily.
From: Alan Davenport <Alan.Davenport AT SELECTIVE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 14:17:37 -0400
Hello Group,

               I am fairly new to using an automated library. We've just
moved to one from a manual library. I am having a problem with too many
tapes from my offsite pool leaving the library every day when MOVE DRM is
run. Our core group of critical servers are going to a collocated pool. The
number of nodes using this pool is approximately 45. My problem is that
between 150 and 160 tapes are ejected from the library on a daily basis!  An
equal number of tapes are returning from offsite. I expected that the number
of tapes going offsite each day would be approximately equal to the number
of nodes using the collocated pool (Plus a few more tapes for the
non-collocated copypool and the DBB). Any advice on what I'm doing wrong?

        I am running TSM 5.2.0.0 on an AIX-RS/6000. I have a 3494 library
which is shared with an OS/390 mainframe with 6 3590 drives dedicated to
TSM. Below are my maintenance scripts:

Name           Line       Command

               Number
----------     ------
DAILY_MAI-     1          cancel expiration

 NT1

               3          run healthcheck

               4          ba stg proddisk 3590prodoffsite maxpr=6 wait=yes

               5          ba stg critdisk 3590critoffsite maxpr=6 wait=yes

               6          upd stg critdisk highm=10 lowm=0

               11         upd stg proddisk highm=10 lowm=0

               16         delete sch migrate_check t=a

               21         def sch migrate_check t=a cmd='run migrate_check'

                           startt=now+0:10 active=y perunits=onetime

Name           Line       Command

               Number
----------     ------
MIGRATE_C-     1          select * from processes where process='Migration'

 HECK

               6          if(rc_ok) goto resch

               11         delete sch migrate_check t=a

               16         upd stg critdisk highm=90 lowm=70

               21         upd stg proddisk highm=90 lowm=70

               26         run daily_maint2

               31         exit

               36         resch:

               41         q stg critdisk

               46         q stg proddisk

               51         delete sch migrate_check t=a

               56         def sch migrate_check t=a cmd='run migrate_check'

                           startt=now+0:10 active=y perunits=onetime

               61

Name           Line       Command

               Number
----------     ------
DAILY_MAI-     1          ba stg 3590crit 3590critoffsite maxpr=3 wait=y

 NT2

               6          ba stg 3590prod 3590prodoffsite MAXPR=2 wait=y

               11         run daily_maint3

Name           Line       Command

               Number
----------     ------
DAILY_MAI-     1          cancel expiration

 NT3

               6          ba db t=f devc=3590tape wait=yes

               11         if(rc_ok) goto db_done

               16         goto retry

               21         db_done:

               26         prepare

               31         backup volhist

               36         backup devconfig

               41         expire i quiet=yes

               46         run startreclaim

               51         /* line removed */

               56         /* line removed */

               61         /* line removed */

               66         exit

               71         retry:

               76         del sch daily_maint3 t=a

               81         def sch daily_maint3 t=a cmd='run daily_maint3'

                           startt=now+0:01 active=y perunits=onetime

Alan Davenport
Senior Storage Administrator
Selective Insurance Co. of America
alan.davenport AT selective DOT com