ADSM-L

Re: How to completely expire deleted files

2003-10-11 10:19:05
Subject: Re: How to completely expire deleted files
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 10:16:27 -0400
Any time you make a change like this, you then have to "validate" and
"activate" the POLICY SET again to make changes effective.

David B. Longo
System Administrator
Health First, Inc.
3300 Fiske Blvd.
Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
PH      321.434.5536
Pager  321.634.8230
Fax:    321.434.5509
david.longo AT health-first DOT org

>>> fminns AT WILEY.CO DOT UK 10/11/03 06:14AM >>>
Hi TSMers

I have been looking though the lists and have seen that this has been
discussed before, but still I have not found the solution.

Running TSM 5.1.6.2 on Solaris. Client in question in for MAC and is
5.1.5.0.

Now, what happened was that the admin for the MAC server decided to do a
reorg of about 80GB of data, so yes, you guessed it, we ended up backup it
all up again. I was not pleased :) But how can I remove these deleted files
to stop them being backed up. The original retention settings were as
follows :-

Versions Data Exists        3
Versions Data Deleted        1
Retain Extra Versions        180
Retain Only Version        60

So I changed them to the following and re-ran the inc backup hoping that
all the files that would have stayed put for 60 days would go after 5.

Versions Data Exists        3
Versions Data Deleted        1
Retain Extra Versions        180
Retain Only Version        5

Now, I have read that the new retention settings would only have taken
effect when the files were actually being incrementally backed up and thus
the client would see that they no longer existed them and expired them with
the new retention settings.

Is this correct?

If so, do I now have no choice but to wait for the 60 days to be up before
the files will disappear and stop hogging tape volumes ?

Thanks in advance for any help

Farren Minns

This email transmission is confidential and intended for the person or
organisation it is addressed to. If you are not the intended recipient, you
must not copy, distribute, or disseminate the information, open any
attachment, or take any action in reliance of it. If you have received this
message in error please notify the sender.

except where the sender specifically states otherwise.

Although this email has been scanned for viruses you should rely on your
own virus check, as the sender takes no responsibility for any damage
arising out of any bug or virus infection.

This message is for the named person's use only.  It may
contain confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged
information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived or
lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message
in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it
from your system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify
the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use,
disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message
if you are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves
the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its
networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in this message
are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where
the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of
a particular entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by
the entity to give such views or opinions.