ADSM-L

Administrative tools for Unix or Linux servers

2003-10-09 16:44:38
Subject: Administrative tools for Unix or Linux servers
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 16:41:57 -0400
We currently have a TSM server running under OS/390. We use the
CA-7 batch job scheduler to manage most of the sequencing of
housekeeping tasks. For example, there are two batch jobs that
run two streams of 'backup stgpool' operations. When both jobs
finish CA-7 starts a third job that performs a snapshot backup
of the TSM database. We use NetView to detect and report urgent
problems. Some messages automatically trigger operator notification.
Other messages trigger follow-up queries that may or may not lead
to operator notification. For example, the message indicating the
successful end of a scheduled backup triggers queries that check
for missed file systems.

We are currently considering migrating the TSM server to mainframe
Linux. As far as I can tell, nobody has a mainframe Linux TSM server
in production. How are people handling the kinds of scheduling and
monitoring functions described above on other platforms with similar
tools available, such as Intel Linux or various Unix implementations?