ADSM-L

Re: TSM and storage pools

2003-10-08 16:10:27
Subject: Re: TSM and storage pools
From: Tom Kauffman <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 15:08:38 -0500
Brian --

I don't have anywhere near your client count, so take this with a humongous
grain of salt :-)

I set up my disk pools based on tape pools (nextpools) based upon D/R
recovery requirements. I do very limited co-location, because I'm not about
to micro-manage my scratch tapes and I don't have enough tapes/drives to
make myself happy. Most of these pools are seperate so that the off-site
copypool tapes will be seperate, so we can do concurrent restores at D/R
without tape contention.

So --

archivepool -> arch-lt -> arch-lt-copy (mostly production non-sap oracle
databases)
backuppool -> aix-lt -> incr-lt-copy
ntpool -> nt-lt -> incr-lt-copy
naspool -> nas-lt -> incr-lt-copy (nas-lt is colocated by drive and rebuilt
at D/R before restoring the NAS)
prdlog1 -> prdlog1-lt -> prdlog1-lt-copy (all sap/oracle off-line redo logs,
copy 1)
prdlog2 -> prdlog2-lt -> arch-lt-copy (all sap/oracle off-line redo logs,
copy 2)
           prdsap-lt -> prdsap-lt-copy (production sap/oracle database
backups, direct to tape)
           testsap-lt                  (test/sbx sap/oracle -- direct to
tape, no offsite copy)
           nt-exch-lt -> nt-exch-lt-copy (this is co-located, two
ms-exchange servers)
localpool -> local-lt                    (test non-sap oracle DB; no ofsite
copy)
indef -> indef-lt -> indef-lt-copy  ('indefenite' retention archives, one to
seven years)

I'd prefer fewer disk pools, overall, but not at the expense of having
things be seperate on the off-site copies.

And the naming convention helps my batch scripts (q vol stg=*copy
acce=reado,readw for copy pool tapes to check out, as an example).

HTH

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc