ADSM-L

space reclamation on a server storage pool?

2003-10-08 00:33:11
Subject: space reclamation on a server storage pool?
From: John C Dury <jdury AT DQE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 00:31:31 -0400
We have 2 systems. TSM1 and TSM2. TSM2 is used solely as an offsite system
to backup our primary tape storage pool on TSM1. When I run reclamation on
the server storage pool on TSM1, the process requests a mount on TSM2 and a
mount on TSM1. It appears to be copying data from the mount on TSM1 to
TSM2. Why wouldn't reclamation mount 2 tapes on TSM2 and copy the data that
way instead of through the network which is going to be much slower.
Essentially it seems like it is going to copy the exact same data from TSM1
to TSM2 two times because it gets copied once during the BACKUP STG
command, and then again during the space reclamation of the server storage
pool. This seems like a great waste of time when the exact same data should
already be on the TSM2 system and could be moved directly from 1 tape to
another where it would be considerably faster.
Does this make sense? Why would it be done this way?
John