ADSM-L

Re: Amount of Data on a Backupset

2003-10-07 16:37:00
Subject: Re: Amount of Data on a Backupset
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 15:35:16 -0500
From: Linda Seeba [mailto:seeba AT US.IBM DOT COM]
>I am running TSM 5.1.3 on an AIX platform. I created a backupset for a
customer and now they want to know how much data was backed up to it. I can
tell them the amount of objects but not the amount of data. Does anyone
know how to get this information?<

It's almost certainly not available from the TSM server, because the TSM
database does not track that information. However, it's a safe bet that
(assuming that the backupset is recent) that the amount of data on the TSM
client is pretty much equal to the amount of data on the backupset tape. (This
assumes that you created a backupset of the entire client, and not a backupset
of one of the client's filespaces.)

You have to remember that a backupset is an entity independent of the TSM
server. A backupset can be restored from a media drive locally attached to the
TSM client, and has no need for TSM server intervention.