ADSM-L

Re: Fundamental Migration Design Flaw

2003-10-06 18:18:58
Subject: Re: Fundamental Migration Design Flaw
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 17:16:30 -0500
I have to second what Mark said.  We run relatively small disk pools on
purpose, and I have a MaxSize set on every one of them.  I have some
Oracle table files that are 2 GB each.  There is simply no reason to store
that on disk instead of tape, so we send that kind of stuff straight to
tape.  On our GigE connected server writing to LTO-1, we sustain 27 MB/s
as measured by TSM.  Restore performance would be about equal, so the
minute or so to mount the tape and seek the file just isn't significant.

One thing to keep in mind is that the MaxSize applies to *aggregate* size,
not "file" size.  For the 24 GB disk pool upstream of our LTO I set a
MaxSize = 50 MB with a client aggregate size capped at 48 MB.  That data
path gets backups from our main file servers.  So any file larger than 50
MB will go direct to tape.  By morning, the disk pool is usually 30-60%
full, which is perfect.  The smaller, aggregated files stay on disk until
5 pm when we force migrate them to tape.

Works like a charm.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator
Laitram LLC

"Stapleton, Mark" <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
10/05/2003 10:57 PM