ADSM-L

Re: LTO external labels

2003-10-06 13:49:19
Subject: Re: LTO external labels
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 13:46:51 -0400
I have been involved with some of these discussions in the past.
I wonder what your labels will do though after they have been
checked in/out a handful of times AND have been handled by
a number of people?

I thought about this some after last discussion on it.  I again
looked at our IBM LTO1 cartridges.  On the "bottom" of them,
there is printed light green ink with the country of manufacture
and P/N etc.  I suspect this is done by some type of Ink Jet printer?
Is there a reltively inexpensive printer unit out there that can
print on these cartridges - or other types of tapes?  This labeling
essentially has no "depth" to it so can't hang up and doesn't
wear off.

We do have a DVD unit here (not TSM connected) that writes
DVD-RAM's and then puts DVD in another part of the unit and
writes a label on DVD (appears to be inkjet or something similar).

David B. Longo
System Administrator
Health First, Inc.
3300 Fiske Blvd.
Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
PH      321.434.5536
Pager  321.634.8230
Fax:    321.434.5509
david.longo AT health-first DOT org

>>> Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU 10/06/03 12:10PM >>>
Some time ago, someone on this list wrote inquiring about the use of
external labels on LTO1 cartridges.
Many other types of cartridges have a recessed area for applying an external
identifying label other than the bar code, but the LTO cartridges do not.

We also have a requirement for external ownership labels, and here is our
experience:

We bought some Avery non-removable printer labels, 3.5 x 3/4 inch.
We put one on the top rear of the cartridge (over the recessed arrow).
We put another on the back face of the cartridge (the surface opposite the
bar code - that one required trimming down a bit shorter.)

I did 200 forced mounts/dismounts of the cartridge.
Now this TSM server isn't terribly busy; 200 mounts should correspond to
something like 3 months normal use for our busiest tapes.

I had no peeling, curled edges, mount failures, or jams.
There are no scuffs or any indications of wear on the labels.

So we consider this an acceptable risk.
Granted the print is tiny, but it will suffice.

IBM LTO1 drives, IBM LTO1 cartridges.
YMMV.

This message is for the named person's use only.  It may
contain confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged
information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived or
lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message
in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it
from your system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify
the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use,
disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message
if you are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves
the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its
networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in this message
are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where
the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of
a particular entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by
the entity to give such views or opinions.