ADSM-L

Webclient through firewall

2003-10-06 09:42:06
Subject: Webclient through firewall
From: Geert De Pecker <gedp AT SOFICO DOT BE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 15:39:40 +0200
Hi,

I have a couple of tsm clients in my DMZ. The backups through
the firewall are no problem at all (port 1500).

When I want to use the http://xxx.xxx.xxx:1581, no problem to
get the applet started. However, as soon as I try to start a
backup or restore from the applet, I get a java error "Connection
timed out". With the firewall open on all ports: no problem.

I found the "webports" setting and have put that in the dsm.sys
file (I am running redhat 8) on the client machine:

passwordaccess          generate
compression             yes
Editor                  yes
schedlogretention       3 D
txnbytelimit            24576
httpport                1581
webports                1584 1585

I opended these ports on the firewall (from internal to dmz: open
ports: 1581, 1584, 1585) and still no luck.

When I shutdown and restart dsmcad and retry the connection,
I can start a backup or restore version once. If I try another
backup or restore, it fails with the timeout error.

Looking at the firewall sniffer, it seems tsm starts with the
ports set by webports, but also uses other ports (like 1841).

As I understand from the doc, the webports variable should
be the only thing and this behaviour seems like a bug. Does
anybody know how this can be solved?

Thanks,

Geert

Geert De Pecker - SOFICO NV
Fraterstraat 228-242, B9820 Merelbeke, Belgium
Mail: gedp AT sofico DOT be, Tel: +3292108040, Fax: +3292108041