ADSM-L

Re: inc backs up all files after restore

2003-10-02 07:11:38
Subject: Re: inc backs up all files after restore
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 07:09:49 -0400
>A question regarding how TSM monitors files that have changed..
>
>On win2000, TSM client 5.1.5.2, we have found that if we lose a drive and
>have to do a complete restore onto a new disk (but with same windows drive
>letter), the first time we do a inc backup, everything gets backed up.
>
>So what is TSM using to determine that the files have changed ?
>
>As you can imagine , when this happens on a 300Gb, 1.2million file drive,
>the last thing we want is another backup of all the data.

The product documenters slave away writing manuals, and customers ignore them.
Sheesh!

Here are your references, as noted in http://people.bu.edu/rbs/ADSM.QuickFacts :

Backup, which files are backed up       Windows: See the client manual; search
 (Backup criteria)                      on "modified".  In particular, see:
                                         - "Understanding which files are backed
                                           up"
                                         - "Copy mode"
                                         - "Resetarchiveattribute"