ADSM-L

Re: Moving TSM from one platform to another

2003-10-01 17:43:28
Subject: Re: Moving TSM from one platform to another
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 17:41:43 -0400
Yes, it's ugly.
Yes,  as far as I know, exporting all the client data is the only supported
method.
Yes, it's a HECK of a lot of work.
Yes, it takes your 2000 tapes, creates 2000 portable tapes, which get
imported to create 2000 tapes.

I forget which version of TSM you are running; starting in 5.1, you can
export directly to from one server to another.
You set up a server-to-server definition, and transmit the data rather than
using sequential media.
(And that may actually be slower than creating the export tapes.)

I've done it with sequential media, and with server-to-server (I was going
AIX to Windoze).
Neither is pleasant.

My recommendation:

Just export/import your archives, and any old filespaces that are not
replaceable.

Point the clients to the new server, and let them start fresh with backups.
Keep the old server around for n months; if the clients need to restore
older data, they can always point their dsm.opt back to the old server for
restoring for n months.

I will probably take you n months to do all the import/exports, anyway  :>(

If you find a better way, I would love to hear about it!