ADSM-L

Re: Incremental backups on file systems that contain a large number of files

2003-10-01 09:59:02
Subject: Re: Incremental backups on file systems that contain a large number of files
From: Justin Bleistein <justin.bleistein AT SUNGARD DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 09:48:38 -0400
there maybe a trade off with a selective backup of that filesystem or an
archive since there's no compare operations associated there. You may have
to do some benchmarking though to prove it.. thanks!.

--Justin Richard Bleistein
Unix/TSM Systems Administrator (Sungard eSourcing)
Desk: (856) 566 - 3485
Cell:    (856) 912 - 0861
Email: justin.bleistein AT sungard DOT com

                      Mark Trancygier
                      <TrancygM@TRINITY-        To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      HEALTH.ORG>               cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:           Subject:  Incremental backups
on file systems that contain a large number of
                      Dist Stor Manager"         files
                      <[email protected].

                      10/01/2003 09:27
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

We are currently having problems performing incremental backups on a file
system that has a large amount of files. The daily changes to this file
system are small so we are only sending approximately 5 - 10 gig per backup
however, since there are around 3,000,000 files to examine, the backup
takes about 10 - 13 hours to complete.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle incremental backups of
file systems that contain a large number of I-nodes ?

Client:  AIX 7026-B80
Server AIX 7040-671

Thanks,
Mark.