ADSM-L

Re: Tape Technology Comparison

2003-10-01 04:55:32
Subject: Re: Tape Technology Comparison
From: "Pole, Stephen" <Stephen.Pole AT HEALTH.WA.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 14:51:52 +0800
Well, that's a pretty broad question. I am sure someone will get around to
an answer soon.

Here's my piece for what it is worth.

Surprised no one offered 3590 technology!! Price could be it. But the second
hand market is pretty ok. Mind you the sales guy would not make as much then
would he? Never stopped me in the past though. But it depends on how big
your enterprise is and what data your trying to get at. Think about the data
you are backing up. Think about how your are going to go about restoring it.
Think about the mechanics of the drive... Are the data a mix of big files,
small files. On restore, will the tape perform?  How will it handle skipping
past data it does not require? For example,3584
This tape technology offers high performance and reliability and can connect
to multiple operating systems for
library sharing.

3590's are very strong in stop start operations (small files), and just as
good in streaming operations where huge data files. Good in big system
operations as well. Such as mainframs.

If you have the chance speak to as many people in operations, Customer
Service Engineers.

Get with someone from each company who understands the demands you have.

Andy Raibeck from this group has written some really good stuff on tape
drive techologies. You can gain access to his writting's on the subject from
the adsm.org website as I recall.

Also, the choice of library may have a bit to do with it as well. Some offer
both 3584 and DLT in the same cabinet.

Ok, each to his own...... my afternoon tea is over ...

Happy researching.....

Regards

Stephen