ADSM-L

Re: TSM Journaling - Any Performance Degradation?

2003-09-30 06:30:06
Subject: Re: TSM Journaling - Any Performance Degradation?
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 12:28:16 +0200
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 11:14:21 +0100
David McClelland <David.McClelland AT REUTERS DOT COM> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> Understandably, one of our customers is concerned about the impact of
> enabling TSM journaling on his customer-facing performance-critical
> production file-server - he asks:
>
> >> Do you know if there is any risk of performance degradation (i.e.
> slower read/write of files)
> >> resulting from the interaction between the journaling daemon and the
> Win32 API?
>
> Does anyone have any comments, experiences or statistics that I can get
> back to him with on this? I can understand that there might be a
> performance hit, what with the extra file I/O and writes to the journal
> file, but is this significant or quantifiable, and should he be
> concerned?

I think there should not be a real problem. On a number of selectable events
(Delete, File Size, last modification timestamp, last access timestamp,
Atributes, NTFS security) a event is logged in the TSM journal. The default
settings seem logical, and will not give you a lot of overhead. Having the
TSM journals on a separate disk will of course help if you have a really
busy server...

It is not true that on every access to a file an event is logged, so you
need not worry to much....

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Reken- en Netwerkdiensten                      http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 8008    Fax. +31 20 668 3167

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the computer
industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the computer industry
didn't even foresee that the century was going to end." -- Douglas Adams