ADSM-L

Re: BackupSet creativity

2003-09-29 13:31:37
Subject: Re: BackupSet creativity
From: Ted Byrne <ted.byrne AT ADELPHIA DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 13:29:43 -0400
..., how can the restore
process on my NT server (test box) force a restore TO my Netware server
(production box) across the net work?  That entire last statement of yours
concerns me.  I didn't think that was possible, but perhaps I am
misinterpreting what you mean there.

Todd,

The scenario above is probably not going to happen if you are attempting to
restore Netware --> NT, or vice versa,  It *can* happen if you are
restoring Netware --> Netware or Wintel --> Wintel, because the original
server name is part of the filespace name, like NWPROD1\SYS: or
\\WIN2KPROD\C$.  Therefore, the "original location" is on the server where
the data was backed up from.

If you  are restoring to the original location (default behavior) and the
original location is "visible" across the network and you have the rights
to files, you can overwrite data that you may not be expecting to
overwrite.  This is why the danger for you is probably non-existent - you
won't be able to directly "see" a Netware filespace from an NT server.

I was simply stating that it is a good practice to always specify a
destination, as a matter of habit, to prevent just such a scenario from
occurring.

Ted