ADSM-L

Re: Is TSM multi-processor capable?

2003-09-29 09:43:57
Subject: Re: Is TSM multi-processor capable?
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 15:38:01 +0200
On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 16:25:29 -0500
John Schneider <jdschn AT attglobal DOT net> wrote:

> Greetings,
>     I have a question about the TSM server process.  I know it is a
> complex, multi-threaded piece of software, but does it run on multiple
> CPUs simultaneously?
>     On a 2-CPU Windows 2000 dedicated TSM Server for example, where TSM
> is the only application running, are both CPUs kept busy by TSM?  Or is
> TSM only running on one, while the other sits around doing nothing but
> overseeing all the other mostly idle processes.

I can only guess about TSM on windows, but my guess would be that TSM uses
all CPUs available when needed.

>     And is this also true of AIX?  Does a 1-way AIX TSM server run the
> same as a 2-way or 4-way with the same processor speed?

TSM on AIX uses a lot of CPUs if available and nessesairy. TSM has over 100
threads, most of which are sleeping, so on a _very_ busy server, well, TSM
uses about 3 CPUs continuously on our 4cpu S7A, and I guess that on bigger
servers, with more load and more CPUs, TSM would be able to use more CPUs.

>     If you can give real answer (not vague guesses, please) I would
> appreciate it, and I know others would as well.  I set up a lot of TSM
> servers for low-end customers only backing up 10-15 servers, and putting
> in a 1-way vs 2-way server can add a few thousand bucks to the cost.  If
> it really helped it would be worth it, but from what I can see in
> performance monitors, it doesn't seem to be using multiple CPUs, but
> that may be more from being I/O constrained than anything else.

For servers that have only 10-15 clients, well TSM should never need two
CPUs, there is never enough load....

> John Schneider

> * John D. Schneider   Email: jdschn AT attglobal DOT net * Phone: 636-492-0247
> * Lowery Systems, Inc.
> * 1329 Horan                  Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are
> * Fenton, MO 63026                   mine and mine alone.

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Reken- en Netwerkdiensten                      http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 8008    Fax. +31 20 668 3167

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the computer
industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the computer industry
didn't even foresee that the century was going to end." -- Douglas Adams