ADSM-L

Journaling - not updating 'Last Backup Start/Completion Date/Time'

2003-09-29 09:33:09
Subject: Journaling - not updating 'Last Backup Start/Completion Date/Time'
From: David McClelland <David.McClelland AT REUTERS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 14:17:39 +0100
*SMers

Hurrah! I now have 4 consecutive days worth of successful journal
backups!

Instead of my 12,000,000 million object filespace taking nearly a whole
day to process, with journaling turned on I've managed to get this down
to anything from 10 minutes to 1.5 hours depending upon how many files
have changed - significantly better :o) Thanks guys!

*However*, one thing strikes me - I look at the output of a `query
filespace <JOURNALEDNODENAME> f=d` and refer to the 'Last Backup Start'
and 'Last Backup Completed' date and time stamp, and these now don't
ring true. In fact, they appear to point to the last successful full
incremental backup that I performed prior to enabling journaling.

Am I correct in assuming that TSM doesn't count a journaled-incremental
as a full backup when it comes to looking at the `filespaces` table? I'm
sure quite a few guys out there use the output of this for some
reports...

Rgds,

David McClelland
Management Systems Integrator
Global Management Systems
Reuters
85 Fleet Street
London EC4P 4AJ

Telephone       +44 (0)207 542 4670
Mobile  +44 (0)7711 120 931
E-mail  david.mcclelland AT reuters DOT com
Reuters Messaging       david.mcclelland.reuters.com AT reuters DOT net

the views of Reuters Ltd.