ADSM-L

Exporting a TSM Server Across Platforms

2003-09-26 21:06:12
Subject: Exporting a TSM Server Across Platforms
From: Gerald Wichmann <gwichman AT ZANTAZ DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 18:05:52 -0700
If I have a TSM server on an MVS environment backing up Lotus Notes servers
running AIX, and I'd like to migrate my TSM server environment to an AIX
platform, if I recall the steps are fairly straight forward and this is not
a difficult task. Put simply it's:

1.      Do an export of the TSM Server on the MVS environment to tape.
2.      Move the library to the new AIX server
3.      Do an import of the previously made export on the new AIX server
4.      voila.. done.. all Notes/AIX restores/tapes are now restorable.

Specifically I don't believe it's necessary to export all the client data
but you only need to export the TSM server itself right? In other words you
cannot restore a TSM DB tape created from the MVS environment to an AIX
environment. You actually have to export the server to move between
environments in this manner. And you don't need to do it for all the client
data, though I suppose you could.. Is that correct?

This e-mail has been captured and archived by the ZANTAZ Digital Safe(tm)
service.  For more information, visit us at www.zantaz.com.
IMPORTANT: This electronic mail message is intended only for the use of the
that is privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable
law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the
employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received
this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by
telephone or directly reply to the original message(s) sent.  Thank you.